Legalmaster’s core application is Time and Billing. Consequently, it contains the ability to capture and store time entries as well as cost transactions.
Legalmaster may capture time from three sources.
- Our own data entry screens which may be accessed by any user on a network (barring security restrictions).
- Our Remote Data Entry Module, which is primarily intended for off-site batch entry.
- A number of third party time capturing products, such as Amicus, DTE, TimePiece, Atilla and Carpe Diem.
Thousands of billing formats
Legalmaster is capable of printing billing statements in a few thousand formats. You may specify a different format for each of your clients; you may even vary the format for different matters belonging to the same client. Once you have told Legalmaster how you want to print a particular bill, it remembers forever.
- In the section of the bill that shows the detail that supports the charges for your time, you may show any combination of the date of each charge, the timekeeper who performed the service, the description of the service, itself (limited to about 20,000 characters per item), the time spent on the entry, the billing rate and the resultant charge.
- Your time entries may be sorted in any of five orders, including date, timekeeper and type of service.
- If certain services are performed for a fixed fee, you may itemize or consolidate the entries that make it up, even suppressing the hours on those transactions (thus allowing you to keep track of the actual time spent) while showing hours on other entries.
- You may display the life-of-matter billings and/or receipts at the bottom of the bill for those clients of yours that demand that information.
- The wording of every caption, every column header, every phrase, in fact, is under your control. You may even have different captions for different matters.
- If you are using an HP laserjet printer, you may even have your own fancy letterhead appear at the top of the first page of each bill.
Designed specifically for law firms
Legalmaster was designed to address the specific requirements of law firms, such as task billing, split billing, integrated conflict of interest and calendaring, allocation of receipts by originating attorney, responsible attorney or even timekeeper.
- Since Legalmaster is date sensitive throughout, you may enter data for a new billing period even before you have billed the previous period.
- All detailed activity may be retained for as long as you wish. As a result, old invoices may be printed anytime and management reports may reflect activity between any two dates. This is best illustrated by Legalmaster’s report writer.
- Data may be imported and exported to or from dozens of other software packages.